The ‘Communications’ PPL(A) subject focuses on VHF (Very High Frequency) Communications. In this module students learn the theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed for using radio telephony (RT) equipment. This course is suitable for students who have no prior knowledge or experience of RT.
Communications PPL(A) Overview
The course familiarises students on:
- The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Civil Air Publication (CAP) 413. This is the standard for RT in the UK, and many other countries.
- RT procedures associated with a VFR flight. For example, the EASA-FCL (Flight Crew Licencing) requirements.
Additionally, students gain practical experience in making radio calls and how to handle situations such as:
- Air Traffic Services Outside Of Controlled Airspace (ATSOCAS)
- Air Traffic Control (ATC) services
- Communications in military airspace
- The control of aircrafts wishing to enter dangerous areas
- Emergency services
Both theoretical and practical VHF examinations are required.
The PPL Flight Performance & Planning examination has 12 multiple choice questions which must be answered within a 20 minute time limit. The minimum pass mark is 75%.