easa licence
What Aircrafts Can I Fly With My EASA Licence?

Aircrafts are divided into two categories for licencing purposes:

  1. EASA Aircrafts, and
  2. Non-EASA Aircrafts.

This classification applies to types of aircraft, not individual aeroplanes.

So who are the EASA?

The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) is an agency within the European Union. They’re responsible for regulatory and executive tasks in the field of civilian aviation safety. European pilots hold an EASA licence for flying. 


Aircraft Types

1. EASA Aircrafts

No matter where an aircraft was manufactured or registered, if it’s in Europe then it’s normally classified as ‘EASA’. This includes several of the aircrafts you’ll see around flying schools. For example, the Cessna range, the Piper PA-28s or PA-38s, Cirrus, and so on.

Note: UK holders of Part-FCL EASA licence can fly both EASA and UK-registered non-EASA aircrafts within the ratings included in their licence.

2. Non-EASA Aircrafts

Apart from some special exceptions, the following types of aircraft are classified as non-EASA. These are ruled by national (not European) regulations:

  • Microlights
  • Light gyroplanes
  • Ex-military aircraft
  • Foot-launched aircraft
  • Vintage aircraft
Note: You do not need to have an EASA licence to fly these types of aircraft. You can fly them with only a national licence.


What About Other Types of Aircraft?

You need a different EASA licence if you want to fly the following:

  • Sailplanes
  • Balloons
  • Airships


0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Now Shipping to UK, EU & USA.